Whenever a user clicks on one of our ads, we run two types of tests:
- We check to see if the click is from a browser whose IP address appears on our IP address blacklist.
- We check the click against the following business rules:
- If the click follows the ad call by more than 24hrs, the click is automatically marked as fraudulent.
- If more than one click on the same impression on the same ad call occur within one second, all but the first click are marked as fraudulent. This is to prevent charging for accidental double-clicks by the user or technical issues that may happen in the browser.
- If the same impression on the same ad call has been clicked 3 times already, subsequent clicks are marked fraudulent within 4 hours of the previous click.
Clicks that fail any of the above tests are always kept out of our official internal and external reporting and are not billed to advertisers.